Explosives Theft / Loss
Any person who has knowledge of the theft or loss of any explosive materials from their stock must report such theft or loss within 24 hours of discovery thereof to ATF and to appropriate local authorities. (Regulations at 27 CFR § 55.30, implementing section 842(k), require that the report of theft or loss be made by telephone and in writing to ATF). Upon discovery of any theft or loss of any of your explosive materials:
- First, call the nearest ATF office or the toll free number 1-888-283-2662 for information at the ATF office located nearest you.
- Second, call your local law enforcement office to report the theft or loss.
- Third, complete the report form (ATF Form F 5400.5) and attach any additional sheets or invoices necessary to provide the required information and ATF or fax it to the ATF office located nearest you. Please complete each item, as applicable, to the best of your ability.
The U.S. Bomb Data Center staff is available to assist with any questions you may have regarding the reporting of theft or loss of explosive materials. Contact the U.S. Bomb Data Center at 1-800-461-8841.
- Bomb Arson Tracking System (BATS)
- Explosives Tracing
- Explosives Theft / Loss
- Frequently Asked Questions
Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives
U.S. Bomb Data Center
99 New York Avenue, NE, Room 8S 295
Voice: (800) 461-8841