Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives
Public Affairs Division – Washington, DC
At The Frontline Against Violent Crime
For Immediate Release
April 22, 2009
Contact: ATF Public Affairs Division
ATF Updates National Firearms Act (NFA) Handbook
ATF announces that the National Firearms Act (NFA) Handbook has recently been updated and the revised version is now available on the ATF website: http://www.atf.gov/publications/firearms/nfa-handbook/.
The updates include:
- Chapter 1 – a revision to section 1.6 to include the new address and telephone numbers for the Federal Firearms Licensing Center
- Chapter 6 – a revision to section 6.4, Approval of Form 1, and a new section 6.8, Withdrawal or Cancellation of an ATF Form 1 and Refund of Making Tax.
- Chapter 7 – a revision to section 7.4.4, Obtaining variances to the marking requirement, and its subsections
- Chapter 9 – a revision to sections 18.104.22.168, Transfers of NFA firearms to persons other than an individual or an FFL and special (occupational) taxpayer, 22.214.171.124, Repair of firearm silencers, 9.8, U.S. Government-owned firearms, and 9.12, Are FFLs/SOTs required to initiate a background check of the transferee under the Brady law in connection with the transfer of an NFA firearm, and a new section 9.14, Transferable Status and the Form 10.
- Chapter 10 – a new section 10.1.5, DEWATS, and 10.1.5.1, Reactivation of DEWATS.
- Chapter 13 – a revision to section 13.7, Reporting information in response to ATF trace requests.
- Chapter 14 – a revision to section 14.3, Disposition of “post-1986 machineguns.”
- Chapter 15 – a revision to section 15.2.1, Criminal.
If further information is needed, please contact ATF’s NFA Branch, 244 Needy Road, Suite 1250, Martinsburg, WV 25405; telephone (304) 616-4500.
More information on ATF and its programs and resources is at www.atf.gov.