Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives
Los Angeles Field Division
At The Frontline Against Violent Crime
For Immediate Release
April 22, 2010
Contact: Michael Hoffman, Special Agent – PIO
Office: (818) 265-2507
Cell: (213) 925-4547
ATF Los Angeles Hosts Citizens Academy
LOS ANGELES, Calif. — John A. Torres, Special Agent in Charge, Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF), Los Angeles Field Division announced that the “ATF Citizens Academy” presented by the Los Angeles Field Division began yesterday and is scheduled to run through June 2. The academy’s goal is to create a greater understanding of ATF’s role in the community through education and open discussion and practical exercises.
The Citizens Academy provides local business, civic, religious and community leaders an inside look at federal law enforcement in general and ATF in particular, Torres said.
The overall goal is build relationships and understanding between ATF and the community to further help citizens make their communities a better and safer place.
The Citizens Academy is hosted two times each year and is open to approximately 36 – 40 students per class. Students must be civic, religious or community leaders, be at least 21 years old, with no felony convictions. The class meets weekly for approximately three hours and lasts seven weeks. Some of the topics covered include:
- ATF history, mission and jurisdiction
- Firearms/Explosives regulations
- Federal Firearms/Explosives Licensee Inspections
- Violent Crime Impact Teams
- Firearms safety and firearms familiarization/range day
- ATF Laboratories
- Certified Explosive Specialist program
- Explosives detection canine program
- Special Response Team (SWAT) and tactical simulation exercise
- Certified Fire Investigator (CFI) program
- National Response Team (Arson)
The next Citizens’ Academy is scheduled for Fall 2010. For additional information, please contact the Los Angeles Field Division at (818) 265-2500. For more information about ATF and its programs visit www.atf.gov.