Sample Block

Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives

36 S. Charles Street
Fourth Floor
Baltimore, Maryland 21201-2692

(410) 209-4800

TTY/TDD: (410) 962-4462

For Immediate Release

September 3, 2010

Rod J. Rosenstein, United States Attorney

Contacts: AUSA Vickie E. LeDuc

Marcia Murphy

(410) 209-4885

(410) 962-3091 (fax)

Wicomico Felon Exiled to 11 ½ Years in Prison for Distribution of Crack Cocaine

Baltimore, Maryland — U.S. District Judge J. Frederick Motz sentenced Shakoor Stevenson, age 27, of Salisbury, Maryland, yesterday to 136 months in prison followed by four years of supervised release for possession with intent to distribute crack cocaine. Judge Motz enhanced Stevenson’s sentence upon finding that he is a career offender based on previous convictions for possession with intent to distribute narcotics and resisting arrest.

The sentence was announced by United States Attorney for the District of Maryland Rod J. Rosenstein; Special Agent in Charge Theresa R. Stoop of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives - Baltimore Field Division; Wicomico County Sheriff Mike Lewis; Wicomico County State’s Attorney Davis Ruark; and Colonel Terrence Sheridan, Superintendent of the Maryland State Police.

According to Stevenson’s plea agreement, on September 21, 2007, an ATF confidential informant (CI) met Stevenson at a convenience store on Spring Hill Road in Salisbury to complete the purchase of 4.5 ounces of cocaine that the CI had been arranged with Stevenson the previous day. Prior to the meeting, the CI was provided with a digital transmitter and recording device and $4,000 in government funds to purchase the drugs. Law enforcement watched as the CI entered Stevenson’s car and got out a short time later. Maryland State Police marked and unmarked patrol cars attempted to stop Stevenson’s vehicle as it left the parking lot, but sped away, eventually crashing into a residence and then a backyard ravine at the intersection of Delaware Avenue and Rose Street in Salisbury. Stevenson ran away, but was caught a short time later by Maryland State Police and Wicomico County Sheriff’s deputies.

Stevenson was searched and law enforcement recovered $250 from his pocket; and $127 and a fraudulent Maryland Driver’s License from his wallet. From Stevenson’s car law enforcement recovered: a loaded Glock .45 caliber semi-automatic handgun; $3,200 of the government funds given to him by the CI. The gun was late determined to be stolen. Agents met with the CI and recovered an ounce of crack cocaine and 2 ½ ounces of powder cocaine purchased from Stevenson and the remaining $800 in government funds.

According to Stevenson’s plea agreement, during the early morning hours on August 19, 2006, a Wicomico County Sheriff’s deputy saw a vehicle parked behind Parkside High School in Salisbury with the interior light on. The car was later identified as being registered to Stevenson and his sister. Further investigation revealed that the rear driver’s side door was open, but no one was in the car. The deputy saw a marijuana cigar in the car and saw a figure run across the rear parking lot toward an open field. A search of the car recovered 11 ounces of marijuana, over an ounce of powder and almost two ounces of crack cocaine, a digital scale, clothing - including a baseball hat, blue jeans and a white tee shirt, a bottle of water and other items. In the wallet found in the jeans was a Maryland identification card in Stevenson’s name and deputies also found a receipt and work order from a Pep Boys store, dated the day before, in Stevenson’s name. DNA testing performed on items found in the car were consistent with Stevenson’s DNA. The government was prepared to offer testimony that the crack cocaine was intended for distribution and was not for personal use.

Mr. Rosenstein thanked the ATF, Wicomico County Sheriff’s Office, the Maryland State Police, and Wicomico County State’s Attorney Davis Ruark and his office for their work in this investigation and prosecution. Mr. Rosenstein commended Assistant U.S. Attorney Christopher J. Romano, who prosecuted this case.