Sample Block

Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives

District of Minnesota

For Immediate Release

Friday, August 12, 2011

B. Todd Jones, United States Attorney

Contact: Jeanne F. Cooney, Director of Community Relations
(612) 664-5611

Robbinsdale Man Sentenced to 22 Years in Prison for Conspiring to Distribute Cocaine and Marijuana

MINNEAPOLIS – Earlier today in federal court, a 38-year-old Robbinsdale man was sentenced for conspiring to distribute approximately 1.48 kilograms of cocaine and eight kilograms of marijuana. United States District Court Judge Joan N. Ericksen sentenced Marlon Terrell Collins to 264 months in prison on one count of conspiracy to distribute cocaine and marijuana. Collins was indicted on December 7, 2010, and pleaded guilty on April 13, 2011. In his plea agreement, Collins admitted that from June of 2010 through September 3, 2010, he conspired with others to distribute 500 or more grams of cocaine and eight kilograms of marijuana.

According to a law enforcement affidavit filed in the case, authorities learned in September of 2010 that Collins was involved in transporting narcotics from Phoenix, Arizona, to Minnesota. On September 2, 2010, officers observed Collins enter a Federal Express store in Phoenix and make arrangements to ship a large box to a Brooklyn Park address. On September 3, police executed a search warrant on the box and found drugs inside. Later that day, officers met Collinsat the Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport after he arrived from Arizona.

Collins also admitted that when he delivered the narcotics on September 2, 2010, he violated the conditions of his supervised release for a 1998 conviction out of the U.S. District of Minnesota for aiding and abetting possession with intent to distribute in excess of 50 grams of crack cocaine.

This case was the result of an investigation by the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration, the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, the Minneapolis Police Department, and the Miracopa County, Arizona, Sheriff’s Office. It was prosecuted by Assistant U.S. Attorney Allen A. Slaughter.