U.S. Department of Justice
United States Attorney
Western District of North Carolina
Western District of North Carolina
For Immediate Release
August 18, 2011
Anne M. Tompkins, United States Attorney
Contact: Lia Bantavani
Federal Jury Finds Charlotte Man Guilty of Armed Robbery, Conspiracy to Commit Armed Robbery and a Federal Firearms Violation
CHARLOTTE, N.C. – A federal jury in the Western District of North Carolina, sitting in Charlotte, found a Charlotte man guilty of armed robbery, conspiracy to commit armed robbery and a federal arms violation announced Anne M. Tompkins, U.S. Attorney for the Western District of North Carolina.
Zebedee T. Graham, Special Agent in Charge of the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF), Charlotte Field Division, and Chief Rodney D. Monroe of the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department (CMPD) join U.S. Attorney Tompkins in making today’s announcement.
The jury convicted Michael Lamont Moore, 34, of Charlotte, following a two-day trial which ended on August 17, 2011, in connection with the armed robbery of the Thomasboro Grocery Store in Charlotte on April 30, 2010. Moore's co-defendant, Joseph Alexander Clinton, of Charlotte, was also convicted of the robbery and related offenses at trial on June 14, 2011. Previously, Moore’s other two co-defendants, Davenon Farmer and Timothy Herron, of Charlotte, pleaded guilty in connection with the robbery.
On September 22, 2010, Moore was indicted by a federal grand jury on charges of conspiracy and armed robbery, as well as use of a firearm in furtherance of those crimes of violence. According to evidence presented at trial, Moore conspired with his co-defendants to rob the Thomasboro Grocery Store at gunpoint, and participated in the armed robbery of the store. Based on trial evidence and trial testimony, during the course of the robbery one of Moore’s accomplices held a .357 revolver to the head of a sixteen year old girl. Evidence presented at trial also revealed that Moore fired two shots at a Charlotte-Mecklenburg police officer during flight from the robbery.
Over the past year, this office has focused on reducing violent crime in this District, said U.S. Attorney Tompkins.
Some of these efforts have been on crime prevention. However, vigorous prosecution of violent criminals remains a cornerstone of our efforts to combat violent crime. We have also pledged to our law enforcement partners to prosecute those criminals who put officers’ lives at risk. In this violent armed robbery, innocent lives were put at risk, including a law enforcement officer. I would like to thank our local and federal law enforcement partners for their thorough investigation that resulted in four dangerous criminals being taken off our streets.
The use of a firearm in a violent crime is not acceptable under any circumstance, said ATF Special Agent in Charge Graham.
With today’s jury verdict, it is clear that our community expects law enforcement to focus on removing violent criminals with guns and ATF will continue with that commitment to help insure a better and safer place for North Carolina citizens to live.
The successful prosecution of this case is a result of the outstanding work of our local and federal partners, said Chief Monroe of CMPD.
The verdict sends a powerful message to those who blatantly break the law. This type of violent behavior is totally unacceptable, and it will not be tolerated.
Moore has been in local federal custody in the Western District of North Carolina since November 10, 2010, and will remain in custody until his sentencing date, which has not been set yet. He faces a maximum sentence of twenty years in prison on the conspiracy and robbery counts, a consecutive sentence of ten years to life imprisonment on the federal firearms violation, a $250,000 fine or both.
The investigation was led by ATF and CMPD. The case was prosecuted by Assistant United States Attorneys Robert J. Gleason and Assistant United States Attorney J. George Guise of the U.S. Attorney’s Office in Charlotte.