Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives
Los Angeles Field Division
At The Frontline Against Violent Crime
For Immediate Release
September 29, 2011
Contact: Special Agent Christian Hoffman, PIO
Office: (818) 265-2507
Cell: (213) 216-3622
ATF Los Angeles Hosts Citizens’ Academy
LOS ANGELES – John A. Torres, Special Agent in Charge of the Los Angeles Field Division of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF), announced the commencement of the latest class of the
ATF Citizens’ Academy presented by the Los Angeles Field Division. The academy began Sept. 28 and runs through Nov. 9, is designed to create a greater understanding of ATF’s role in the community through education and open discussion.
In today’s environment, it is essential that transparency is the aim point of all government agencies. The ATF Citizens Academy is one of our attempts to address transparency in our Bureau, said Torres.
This academy gives the public an inside look at the hard work my Agents and Investigators do in combating violent crime.
The Citizens’ Academy is hosted two times each year and is open to approximately 40 students per class. Students should be civic, religious or community leaders, be at least 21 years old, and have no felony convictions. The class, which lasts seven weeks, meets one day a week for approximately three hours and covers various law enforcement related topics, to include:
- ATF history, mission and jurisdiction
- Firearms/Explosives regulations
- Federal Firearms/Explosives Licensee Inspections
- Violent Crime Impact Teams
- Firearms safety and firearms familiarization/range day
- ATF Laboratories
- Certified Explosive Specialist program
- Explosives detection canine program
- Special Response Team (SWAT) and tactical simulation exercise
- Certified Fire Investigator (CFI) program
- National Response Team (Arson)
The next Citizens’ Academy is scheduled for spring of 2012. For additional information, please contact the Los Angeles Field Division at (818) 265-2500. For more information about ATF and its programs visit http://www.atf.gov/.