Sample Block

Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives

District of Kansas

For Immediate Release

January 18, 2012

Barry Grissom, United States Attorney

Contact: Jim Cross, Public Affairs
(316) 269-6481

Kansas City Man Sentenced to 164 Years In String of Armed Robberies

KANSAS CITY, KAN. – A Kansas City, Mo., man has been sentenced to 164 years for a string of armed robberies, U.S. Attorney Barry Grissom said today.

Abasi S. Baker, 32, Kansas City, Mo, was convicted in a jury trial in September on 21 counts including seven counts of robbery, seven counts of unlawful possession of a firearm after a felony conviction and seven counts of brandishing a firearm during a robbery.

This should send a clear message to convicted felons with guns, said U.S. Attorney Barry Grissom. Gun crimes mean hard time.

During trial, prosecutors presented evidence Baker committed seven robberies including:

  • Jan. 6: Payday Loans, 7636 State Ave., Kansas City, Kan.
  • Jan. 10: Radio Shack, 7612 State Ave., Kansas City, Kan.
  • Jan. 12: Payday Loans, 10327 Metcalf Ave., Overland Park, Kan.
  • Jan. 16: Dollar Store, 8144 Parallel Parkway, Kansas City, Kan.
  • Feb. 16: Check Into Cash, 11044 Quivira, Overland Park, Kan.
  • Feb. 22: Check Into Cash, 15241 W. 135th, Olathe, Kan.
  • March 3: Radio Shack, 6945 W. 75th, Overland Park, Kan.

Co-defendant Mark R. Davis is set for a jury trial March 5.

Grissom commended the following agencies and individuals for their work on the case: The FBI and the FBI Violent Crimes/Fugitive Task Force; the Wyandotte County District Attorney’s Office; the U.S. Attorney, Western District of Missouri; the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives; the Kansas City, Mo., Police Department; the Kansas City, Kan., Police Department; he Overland Park Police Department; the Olathe Police Department; the Johnson County Sheriff’s Office; the St. Joseph, Mo., Police Department; the Lee’s Summit, Mo., Police Department; the Mission, Kan., Police Department; and assistant U.S. Attorney Terra Morehead, who prosecuted the case.