Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives
The Violent Crime Bureau
For Immediate Release
October 11, 2012
Contact: Christian Hoffman, Special Agent
(818) 265-2507 Office
(213) 216-3622 Cell
ATF LOS ANGELES HOSTS CITIZENS ACADEMY
LOS ANGELES – Steven J. Bogdalek, Special Agent in Charge of the Los Angeles Field Division of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF), announced the commencement of the latest class of the ATF Citizens Academy presented by the Los Angeles Field Division. The academy began Oct. 5 and runs through Nov. 28, and is designed to create a greater understanding of ATFs role in the community through education and open discussion.
Our Citizens Academy increases awareness to Los Angeles residents, which is the aim of all government agencies, said Bogdalek. The academy allows public participation and an inside look at the hard work agents and investigators do in combating violent crime in Los Angeles communities.
This is the 10th ATF Citizens Academy class. The class is hosted annually and is open to approximately 40 students per class. Students should be civic, religious or community leaders, be at least 21 years old, and have no felony convictions. The class, which lasts seven weeks, meets one day a week for approximately three hours and covers various law enforcement related topics, to include:
- ATF history, mission and jurisdiction
- Firearms/Explosives regulations
- Federal Firearms/Explosives Licensee Inspections
- Violent Crime Impact Teams
- Firearms safety and firearms familiarization/range day
- ATF Laboratories
- Certified Explosive Specialist program
- Explosives detection canine program
- Special Response Team (SWAT) and tactical simulation exercise
- Certified Fire Investigator (CFI) program
- National Response Team (Arson)
- Firearm Trafficking investigations
The next Citizens Academy is scheduled for fall of 2013. For additional information, please contact the Los Angeles Field Division at (818) 265-2500.
For more information about ATF and its programs visit www.atf.gov.