Sample Block

Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives

Northern District of Maine

For Immediate Release

For Immediate Release

March 15, 2013

Thomas E. Delahanty II, United States Attorney

Former Shipyard Worker Sentenced to Over 17 Years on Federal Arson Charges

Portland, Maine: United States Attorney Thomas E. Delahanty II announced today that Casey James Fury, 25, formerly of Portsmouth, New Hampshire, was sentenced by U.S. District Judge George Z. Singal to 205 months in prison for committing arson on and around the USS Miami in May and June of 2012. Fury was also ordered to pay $400 million in restitution. Fury pled guilty to the charges on November 8, 2012.

The Miami is a United States Navy Los Angeles Class attack submarine undergoing an overhaul at the U.S. Portsmouth Naval Shipyard (PNSY). Fury was employed as a painter and sandblaster at PNSY until his arrest on July 23, 2012. He has been detained since his arrest.

On May 23, 2012, Fury used a lighter to start a fire in a bag of cotton rags located in a stateroom on the Miami. At the time he set the fire, about 50 shipyard workers were on board the Miami. Miami crew members and firefighters from the PNSY Fire Department and surrounding communities battled the fire for about 12 hours, finally extinguishing it the next morning. At least five first responders suffered injuries. On June 16, 2012, Fury set a second fire in the dry dock area below the Miami that was quickly extinguished and caused no injuries.

In imposing sentence, Judge Singal said: The second fire in the case is especially troubling. It displays to my mind a callous disregard for not only the property involved, but for the safety of others after having seen what had occurred after the first fire. He continued: "Setting a fire on a nuclear submarine during the course of its rehabilitation by an individual entrusted with that rehabilitation with full knowledge of the seriousness of the consequences of that conduct cannot be taken lightly and deserves severe punishment."

This case was investigated by the agents of the Naval Criminal Investigative Service with assistance of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives. Assistant United States Attorneys Darcie McElwee and James Chapman were responsible for the prosecution of the case.