Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives
Public Affairs Division – Washington, DC
FACTS AND FIGURES FOR FISCAL YEAR 2014
- Special Agents (1811): 2,490
- Industry Operations Investigators (1801 and 1854): 780
- Administrative/Professional/Technical: 1,533
- Total employees: 4,803
- Field Divisions: 25
Fiscal Year 2014
- Recommended for prosecution: 7,577
- Indicted cases: 5,310
- Convicted cases: 4,482
- Criminal group and gang cases: 1,035
- Recommended for prosecution:12,978
- Prior Arrests: 106,098 or an average of 8.2 prior arrests per defendant recommended for prosecution.
- Prior Convictions: 28,497 or an average of 2.2 prior convictions per defendant recommended for prosecution.
- Defendants indicted: 8,864
- Number convicted: 6,987
- Received life sentence: 30
- Received death sentences: 2
- Initiated criminal investigations to these specific areas:
- Number of firearms cases: 23,462
- Number of arson cases: 1,818
- Number of explosives cases: 859
- Number of alcohol & tobacco cases: 26
- ATF conducted the following firearm compliance inspections: 10,429
- Firearms compliance inspections resulted in the following recommendations: 
- No violations: 4,967 (47.6%)
- Report of violations: 1,364 (13.1%)
- Warning letter: 1,348 (12.9%)
- Warning conference: 640 (6.1%)
- Revocations sought: 74 (0.7%)
- Other (out of business, etc): 2,036 (19.5%)
- Firearms application inspections conducted: 12,404
- ATF conducted the following explosives compliance inspections: 4,006
- Explosive compliance inspections resulted in the following recommendations:
- No violations: 2,781 (69.4%)
- Report of violations: 287 (7.2%)
- Warning letter: 109 (2.7%)
- Warning conference: 34 (0.8%)
- Revocations sought: 10 (0.2%)
- Other (Out of Business, etc): 785 (19.6%)
- Explosives application inspections conducted: 932
Imports and National Firearms Act (NFA):
- NFA registration applications (and transfer applications): 236,290
- NFA registrations processed (total weapons): 1,383,677
- NFA making and transfer tax collected: $22,611,966
- NFA special occupation tax collected: $4,835,663.06
- Imports Form 6 non-immigrant alien processed: 10,077
- Imports Form 6 processed: 9,239
- Total import permit applications: 19,316
ATF’s National Tracing Center (NTC) is the country's only crime gun tracing facility. NTC provides critical information that helps domestic and international law enforcement agencies solve firearms crimes, detect firearms trafficking, and track the intrastate, interstate, and international movement of crime guns.
- NTC processed more than 360,000 trace requests.
Certified Fire Investigators (CFI)
ATF’s CFI’s provide support for fire and arson investigations throughout the entire United States, its territories and other countries.
- ATF conducted 1,818 fire and arson investigations.
National Integrated Ballistic Information Network (NIBIN)
NIBIN provides federal, state and local law enforcement, forensic science, and attorney agencies with an automated ballistic imaging system that will aid their investigations by using digital images of shell casings to link violent crimes involving firearms and subsequently identify firearm users or “trigger pullers.”
- NIBIN partners have confirmed more than 68,000 NIBIN hits.
- ATF certified more than 1,000 NIBIN users to use the network.
ATF’s state-of-the-art laboratories examine forensic evidence such as ballistics and DNA. The fire research laboratory reconstructs and test arson and fire scenarios.
ATF’s laboratories accomplished the following:
- Processed 2,220 forensic cases
- Processed 118 fire research cases
- Provided 83 days of expert testimony in the courts
- Worked 160 days at crime scenes
- Provided 671 days of training instruction for federal, state and local investigators and examiners
Gang Resistance Education and Training (G.R.E.A.T.)
G.R.E.A.T. is a gang and delinquency prevention program that is provided to middle and elementary school students by ATF and other law enforcement agency partners. Since its inception in 1991, G.R.E.A.T. has graduated more than 6 million students. It has certified as G.R.E.A.T. instructors more than 13,000 law enforcement officers and professionals from 2,689 agencies as G.R.E.A.T. instructors.
- 1,077 officers and law enforcement professionals taught the G.R.E.A.T. program in elementary and middle schools
- 5,047 schools (to include elementary and middle) taught G.R.E.A.T.
- 198,963 students from elementary and middle school participated.
- 25,027 classes graduated including elementary and school students.
- The agency’s 2014 enacted budget is about $1.179 billion.
 Numbers provided are for the most notable areas and do not include all items identified by an industry operation investigator during an inspection.