Strategic Plan — Fiscal Years 2004–2009
Working For A Safer and More Secure America… Through Innovation and Partnerships
The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives must protect the public against crime, violence, and other threats to public safety. Our vision will help us chart the course to improve the way we serve and protect the public, provide leadership and expertise, and achieve new levels of effectiveness and teamwork.
The mission of ATF is to conduct criminal investigations, regulate the firearms and explosives industries, and assist other law enforcement agencies. This work is undertaken to prevent terrorism, reduce violent crime and to protect the public in a manner that is faithful to the Constitution and the laws of the United States.
We value each other and those we serve. We will:
- Uphold the highest standards of excellence and integrity;
- Provide high quality service and promote strong external partnerships;
- Develop a diverse, innovative, and well-trained work force to achieve our goals; and
- Embrace learning and change in order to meet the challenges of the future.
ATF’s Strategic Planning Process
The ATF Strategic Planning Process relies on teamwork and effective communication to focus scarce resources on the global challenges facing America today. The FY 2004-2009 ATF Strategic Plan to address these challenges is based on long-term legislative mission mandates, customer and stakeholder input, and Presidential and Departmental priorities. The strategic plan and goals are developed by the ATF Strategic Leadership Team to establish the framework on which we develop and implement annual operating plans. The plan consists of three strategic goals representing Firearms, Explosives and Arson, and Alcohol and Tobacco. The format of this strategic plan is as follows:
- Strategic Goals — High level statements of what outcome is needed
- Objectives — Statements of what will be accomplished
- Tactics — Actions that will be taken to attain an objective
- Vision, Mission, and Values Statement
- Strategic Planning Process
- Strategic Goal 1: Prevent Violent Crime Involving Firearms
- Strategic Goal 2: Resolve and Prevent Explosives and Fire Related Crimes
- Strategic Goal 3: Prevent Illegal Domestic and International Trafficking of Alcohol and Tobacco Products