- Name: Kira
- Specialty: Explosives Detection/Search Enhanced Evidence K-9 (S.E.E.K.)
- Breed: Labrador Retriever
- Color: Black
- Sex: Female
- Weight: 50 pounds
- Birthday: January 2, 2012
- Training: ATF National Canine Center, Front Royal, VA
- Handler: Special Agent Canine Handler Thomas Gehlert
- Location: Phoenix Field Division
K-9 Kira is an ATF Explosives Detection Canine assigned to the Phoenix Field Division with Special Agent Canine Handler (SACH) Thomas Gehlert. Her job is to find explosives, guns and ammunition. She is also an ATF Search Enhanced Evidence K-9 (S.E.E.K.) able to work off leash up to 150 yards away from her handler and detect more than 19,000 distinct odors. K-9 Kira started her training with the University of Auburn’s Explosive Detection Canine program.
Kira was bred to be a champion duck hunter but experienced a career change when ATF took notice of her superior drive and innate knack for detection. K-9 Kira came to ATF from a local vendor, and upon completing the intensive six-month ATF canine academy. For Kira, finding explosive odor is much like finding ducks.