- Name: Jam
- Specialty: Explosives Detection/Search Enhanced Evidence K-9 (S.E.E.K.)
- Breed: Labrador Retriever
- Color: Black
- Sex: Male
- Weight: 64 pounds
- Birthday: November 1, 2013
- Training: ATF National Canine Center, Front Royal, VA
- Handler: Special Agent Canine Handler Robert G. Landis
- Location: Charlotte Field Division
Originally named “Samuel,” Jam was renamed to honor the memory of Special Agent Johnny A. Masengale, who was tragically killed in the line of duty on May 6, 1992. His name represents the initials of Special Agent Masengale.
Jam’s job is to assist ATF agents and other law enforcement officers in locating explosive-, firearm- and ammunition-related evidence. Jam can be directed to objects more than 150 yards away from his handler with verbal, hand and whistle commands. If K-9 Jam detects explosives, he is trained to sit and wait for SACH Landis’ instructions.
K-9 Jam lives in Charlotte, N.C., with SACH Landis’ family and his three non-working dog sisters.