Base Annual Salary Range For Year 2013:
$33,829 (Grade 5, Step 1) to $42,948 (Grade 9, Step 1) (Includes 25% Law Enforcement Availability Pay, does not include locality pay).
Base salary will depend upon grade qualifications. Application materials will be reviewed by the Recruitment, Hiring & Staffing Center to determine the grade for which an applicant may qualify. All applicants must meet basic qualifications at the grade 5 to be eligible to take the ATF Special Agent Exam (see the basic grade qualifications section in the announcement).
All ATF duty stations qualify for locality pay. Special agents receive an additional percentage of their base salary, depending upon their locations. The current range of locality pay is 14.16% to 35.15%.
Law Enforcement Availability Pay (LEAP):
Because of the type of work and additional work hours, special agents receive 25% Law Enforcement Availability Pay, which is added to locality pay.
Foreign Language Award Program:
The Foreign Language Award Program authorizes cash awards for ATF employees who possess and make substantial use of one or more foreign language(s) in the performance of their official duties. The award is based upon proficiency and substantial usage.
The full performance level for this position is grade 13. Note: Promotions are based upon performance and must receive supervisory approval.
- Annual leave (vacation time) is earned at the rate of 13-26 days per year, with a maximum accumulation of 240 hours per year.
- Sick leave is earned at the rate of 13 days per year and may be accumulated without limit.
- Paid holidays.
- Low cost health insurance with the option to choose from a variety of plans.
- Low cost life insurance.
- Federal Employee Retirement System (FERS) benefits. Special agents may retire at age 50 with 20 years of service. Age 57 is the mandatory retirement age, with 20 years of service.
- Tax-deferred Thrift Savings Plan (TSP).
- Health improvement (physical fitness) program.
Federal benefits and additional related information are available on the following websites: