Sample Block

Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives

What types of rifles are required to be reported?

The rifle transactions that must be reported are dispositions of semiautomatic rifles capable of accepting a detachable magazine and with a caliber greater than .22 (including .223/5.56 caliber) to an unlicensed person. However, the reporting requirement does not apply to receivers for such rifles. You may contact the Firearms Technology Branch at (304) 616-4300 if you are unable to determine if the rifles are subject to the reporting requirements.