Sample Block

Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives

Who is responsible for notifying the NFA Branch when I transfer the GCA firearm to a FFL or another individual?

There is no requirement that the transferor or transferee of a GCA firearm notify the NFA branch of a transfer or that either party determine whether the firearm was previously registered under the NFA. There is no also no requirement for the registrant or possessor of a NFA firearm to notify ATF of the removal of features that caused the firearm to be subject to the NFA; however, ATF recommends the owner notify the NFA Branch in writing if a firearm is permanently removed from the NFA.