For Immediate Release
ATF Offers $10,000 Reward for Information on Colorado Springs Gun Store Burglary
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. — The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives is offering up to a $10,000 reward for information leading to the arrest and conviction of suspects who burglarized Colorado Springs Guns and Ammo at 2:20 a.m., Sept. 23.
At least five suspects used a stolen Ford Fusion to break into the store at 3749 Bloomington St. in Colorado Springs. In just over five minutes, the thieves took about 17 handguns, rifles and shotguns. No suspect information is available.
“Any theft from a gun store is extremely concerning because we know these firearms are later used in violent crimes,” said ATF Special Agent in Charge Ken Croke. “We appeal to anyone who knows the identity of these suspects or the whereabouts of the firearms to contact us before they are used against innocent people and law enforcement.”
ATF and the Colorado Springs Police Department are jointly investigating the burglary.
Anyone with information should call ATF’s Tip Line at 1-800-ATF-GUNS (283-4867), Colorado Springs PD at 719-444-7000 or Crime Stoppers at (719) 634-STOP (7867) or 1-800-222-8477. Callers to the ATF and Crime Stoppers tip lines can remain anonymous. People can also submit a tip through ATF’s new “reportit” app available at www.reportit.com and at Google Play and the Apple App Store. All tips to the app are confidential and can be anonymous.
Stolen firearms in Colorado
- In 2015, 6,163 firearms were stolen from licensed gun dealers in the U.S.
- That is an about 7 percent increase from 2014’s count of 5,719.
- 29 states saw increases in firearms stolen from licensed gun dealers in 2015, including Colorado.
- Colorado numbers doubled from 2014 to 2015, increasing from 56 to 121.
- Colorado ranked 22 out of 50 in numbers of firearms stolen from gun dealers in 2015.
- The most common theft is burglary, which made up about 76 percent (4,721) of stolen firearms in 2015.
- There are about 1,625 licensed gun dealers in Colorado.