For Immediate Release
Friday, April 28, 2017
Contact: Lisa Meiman
ATF Offers $10,000 Reward for information on Colorado Springs gun store burglary
Field Division: Denver Field Division
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. — The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives is offering up to a $10,000 reward for information leading to the arrest and conviction of suspects who burglarized Springs Armory just after 2 a.m., April 18.
In less than five minutes, four or five masked suspects stole 22 handguns and rifles from the store at 2462 Waynoka Road in Colorado Springs. Photos of the suspects and suspect vehicle, a Dodge Neon or similar, are at the end of the release.
“These firearms represent a major threat to our community,” said ATF Special Agent in Charge Debora Livingston. “They will not be used in hunting; they will not be displayed as trophies; these guns are destined for crime. We appeal to anyone who knows the identity of these suspects or the whereabouts of the firearms to contact us before innocent people are hurt.”
ATF and the El Paso County Sheriff’s Office are jointly investigating the burglary.
Anyone with information should call ATF’s Tip Line at 1-800-ATF-GUNS (283-4867), El Paso County Sheriff’s Office at 719-390-5555 or Pikes Peak Crime Stoppers at (719) 634-STOP (7867) or 1-800-222-8477. Callers to the ATF and Crime Stoppers tip lines can remain anonymous. People can also submit a tip through ATF’s new “reportit” app available at www.reportit.com and at Google Play and the Apple App Store. All tips to the app are confidential and can be anonymous.
Stolen firearms in Colorado
- In 2016, 9,281 firearms were stolen from licensed gun dealers in the U.S.
- That is an about 51 percent increase from 2015’s total of 6,163.
- In 2016, 273 firearms were stolen from Colorado gun dealers. In comparison, in 2015, 121 firearms were stolen from gun dealers and 56 in 2014.
- The most common theft is burglary, which made up nearly 81 percent (7,488) of stolen firearms in 2015.
- There are 1,636 licensed gun dealers in Colorado.