DOJ Seal

Department of Justice

U.S. Attorney's Office
Northern District of Georgia

For Immediate Release

Tuesday, May 22, 2018
Byung J. “BJay” Pak
, United States Attorney
Contact: AUSA Assigned

Atlanta man sentenced for shooting U.S. Marshals Service task force officer

ATLANTA – Titus Bates has been sentenced to 30 years in prison for assaulting a federal officer, discharging a firearm during a crime of violence, possession with intent to distribute marijuana, and being a felon in possession of a firearm after he shot a member of the U.S. Marshals Services’ Southeast Regional Fugitive Task Force (“SERFTF”) who was attempting to execute search and arrest warrants at his residence.

“Titus Bates has no regard for the law or life. He is a seven-time convicted felon who nearly killed officers attempting to arrest him and search his residence,” said U.S. Attorney Byung J. “BJay” Pak.  “We are thankful that the Marshals Service Task Force Officer survived the shooting and we are reminded of the dangers our law enforcement partners encounter every day.”     

“We appreciate the efforts of the U.S. Attorney’s Office and the ATF in obtaining this conviction for Bates, who is a career offender with gang affiliations.  This event reemphasizes the danger all law enforcement personnel face every day in an effort to keep communities safe from violent criminals. Violence against those who swear an oath to protect the public will not be tolerated” said Chief Inspector Keith Booker with the U.S. Marshals.

“Titus Bates is a very violent individual who displays a total lack of concern for the lives of others.  This sentence represents the seriousness of his crime,” said Special Agent in Charge Arthur Peralta. “This sentence also ensures that Bates will not be able to hurt or terrorize anyone else for a very long time.”

According to U.S. Attorney Pak, the charges, and evidence presented at trial: On November 21, 2013, members of the U.S. Marshals Services’ SERFTF attempted to execute arrest and search warrants issued by Fulton County for Bates’s residence in Atlanta.  An entry team knocked and announced their presence, but Bates did not answer.  As Marshals attempted to make entry into the residence, Bates shot twice through the closed door.  One of the shots hit a neighbor’s house, and the other shot struck a U.S. Marshal Task Force Officer in the leg.  The law enforcement team at the residence did not return fire. Instead they focused on removing the task force officer from the scene and rushing him to the hospital.  They also continued with their mission to apprehend Bates.

Inside the house, Bates tossed a .45 caliber pistol with an extended clip, which he used to shoot the task force officer, down a vent in the living room. ATF agents searched Bates’s home, and found over seven pounds of marijuana, scales, cash, and other drug-related items. 

Titus Bates, 43, of Atlanta, Georgia was sentenced to 30 years in prison to be followed by 3 years of supervised release on May 17, 2018.  A jury convicted Bates of assaulting a federal officer with a deadly weapon and discharging a firearm during a crime of violence on December 14, 2017.  Prior to trial, Bates pleaded guilty to being a felon in possession of a firearm and possession with intent to distribute marijuana on November 9, 2017. 

This case was investigated by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives.

Assistant U.S. Attorneys Phyllis Clerk and Ryan K. Buchanan prosecuted the case.

For further information please contact the U.S. Attorney’s Public Affairs Office at (link sends e-mail) or (404) 581-6016.  The Internet address for the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Northern District of Georgia is


Atlanta Field Division