DOJ Seal

Department of Justice

U.S. Attorney's Office
District of Maryland

For Immediate Release

Wednesday, April 18, 2018
Robert K. Hur
, United States Attorney
Contact: Elizbeth Morse

Baltimore Man Sentenced to 100 Months in Prison for Robbery

Baltimore, Maryland – On April 17, 2018, United States District Judge Marvin J. Garbis sentenced Sean Shorb, age 38, of Frederick, Maryland to 100 months in prison, followed by 3 years of supervised release, for Hobbs Act robbery.

The sentence was announced by United States Attorney for the District of Maryland Robert K. Hur; Special Agent in Charge Daniel L. Board Jr. of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, Baltimore Field Division; and Chief Edward G. Hargis of the Frederick City Police Department.

According to his plea agreement, in March of 2017, Shorb committed two robberies of businesses in Frederick, Maryland.  On March 19, 2017, Shorb walked into a fast food restaurant on Thomas Johnson Drive, pointed a handgun at an employee, and stated that he would shoot the employee unless the employee handed over money.  The employee complied and handed over the money from the store’s cash register.

Later that same week, on March 23, 2017, Shorb walked into a convenience store on Amber Drive, pointed a pistol at an employee, and stated in substance: “Give me the money, give me the money, and don’t say anything.”  The employee complied and handed over money from the store’s cash register.

Frederick City Police Department (“FPD”) investigators obtained red light camera footage that showed Shorb’s vehicle fleeing from one of the robberies.  When an FPD police officer later attempted to conduct a traffic stop of Shorb for speeding, Shorb fled from police.  Shorb was apprehended and later admitted to committing the robberies and said that he used a handgun that he tossed into a sewer in Baltimore.

United States Attorney Robert K. Hur praised the ATF and the Frederick City Police Department for their work in the investigation.  Mr. Hur thanked Assistant U.S. Attorney Matthew DellaBetta, who prosecuted the case.


Baltimore Field Division