DOJ Seal

Department of Justice

U.S. Attorney's Office
Northern District of Illinois

For Immediate Release

Thursday, November 15, 2018
John R. Lausch, Jr.
, United States Attorney

Chicago Man Sentenced to More than Eight Years in Prison for Assaulting Federal Agent After Armed Robbery

CHICAGO — A Chicago man who pointed a loaded gun at a federal agent after an armed robbery on the South Side has been sentenced to more than eight years in federal prison.
After an armed robbery in Chicago’s South Deering neighborhood on Dec. 19, 2017, NICHOLAS HERMON pointed a loaded handgun at an agent from the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms & Explosives.  Hermon was later arrested.
Hermon, 24, of Chicago, pleaded guilty in August to one count of assault of a federal agent, and one count of brandishing a firearm during a crime of violence.  U.S. District Judge Matthew F. Kennelly on Tuesday sentenced Hermon to eight years and three months in federal prison.
The sentence was announced by John R. Lausch, Jr., United States Attorney for the Northern District of Illinois; Celinez Nunez, Special Agent-in-Charge of the Chicago Field Division of the ATF; and Eddie Johnson, Superintendent of the Chicago Police Department.
“The defendant’s firearm was loaded with 15 rounds of ammunition with one round in the chamber ready to be fired,” Assistant U.S. Attorney Christopher V. Parente argued in the government’s sentencing memorandum.  “The defendant and his associates are incredibly fortunate that there was no loss of life in this case.”
According to evidence in the case, Hermon participated in the robbery of two individuals who sought to illegally purchase an assault rifle from Hermon and an associate, JOSHUA GENTRY.  Unbeknownst to Hermon and Gentry, one of the buyers was a confidential source working at the direction of the ATF, and agents were conducting surveillance of the deal in the 10100 block of South Oglesby Avenue.  After the confidential source handed Gentry $1,800 in cash, Hermon, who had been hiding out of sight, appeared and pointed the handgun at the confidential source.  The source and the other buyer ran off, and ATF agents appeared, announced themselves, and commanded Hermon and Gentry to surrender.  Hermon and Gentry ignored the command and fled through a nearby yard.  During the pursuit, Hermon turned and pointed the handgun at the agent.  Hermon was later arrested.
Officers also pursued Gentry, who at one point aimed the loaded assault rifle at one of the officers giving chase.  Gentry was later taken into custody.  Gentry, 22, pleaded guilty to one count of robbery of government funds, and one count of using a firearm during a crime of violence.  Last week, Judge Kennelly sentenced Gentry to seven years and one day in federal prison.
Chicago Field Division