DOJ Seal

Department of Justice

U.S. Attorney's Office
Western District of Washington

For Immediate Release

Friday, May 19, 2017
Attorney Annette L. Hayes
, United States Attorney

Felon Wounded in Drug Deal Gunfight Sentenced to 10 Years in Prison for Illegal Firearm Possession

One Man Killed in Early Morning Shootout at Downtown Seattle Gas Station

A 25-year-old Seattle man was sentenced today in U.S. District Court in Seattle to ten years in prison and five years of supervised release for three felony counts related to illegal gun possession, announced U.S. Attorney Annette L. Hayes. FRANKIE MANUEL MIRANDA survived an August 2015, gun battle inside a car at a downtown Seattle Shell gas station. In the shooting, another young man was shot in the head and killed. The shooting occurred during a drug deal involving MIRANDA and three others. At sentencing U.S. District Judge Robert S. Lasnik said, “The Defendant armed himself not once, but three times with a firearm. His decisions resulted in tragic consequences and death.”

“This case demonstrates yet again that guns and drugs don’t mix,” said U.S. Attorney Annette L. Hayes. “The devastating results are clear – one dead and a number of others who came far too close to the unthinkable. My office is steadfastly committed to working with our state and local partners to bring federal charges against convicted felons who flout the law and illegally possess firearms.”

According to records filed in the case, MIRANDA and another man drove into the Shell station on Denny Way in Seattle intending to do a drug deal. Different witnesses have said the deal was for marijuana, or for prescription cough syrup, or Xanax. What is known is that after two other men got into the back seat of the car, gunfire erupted and 22-year-old Wafi Kilaouy was shot in the head and killed. MIRANDA and a third man, Dion Hooks – also charged federally – were both shot but survived. The car’s driver managed to get out of the car uninjured and fled the scene.

The shooting on Lower Queen Anne Hill followed two other incidents in which MIRANDA, a convicted felon, illegally possessed firearms. As part of the resolution of the case, MIRANDA has pled guilty to two other felonies: possession of a stolen .40 caliber Smith and Wesson handgun in December, 2013; and possession of a stolen Glock .357 semi-automatic handgun in January 2014.

King County prosecutors, working with their federal partners, determined that MIRANDA could argue self-defense in connection with any charges brought for the death of Wafi Kilaouy. The resolution in federal court holds MIRANDA responsible for multiple instances of illegal firearms possession. MIRANDA has a prior adult conviction for the unlawful possession of a firearm.

The case was investigated by the Seattle Police Department and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms & Explosives (ATF). The case is being prosecuted by Assistant United States Attorney Stephen Hobbs.

Press contact for the U.S. Attorney’s Office is Public Affairs Officer Emily Langlie at (206) 553-4110 or


Seattle Field Division