DOJ Seal

Department of Justice

U.S. Attorney's Office
Western District of Washington

For Immediate Release

Friday, August 8, 2014
Jenny A. Durkan
, United States Attorney
Contact: Public Information Officer

Florida Resident Sentenced To 15 Years In Prison For Violent Crimes Linked To Debt Dispute

A Florida resident who threatened family members over a $20,000 debt and used firebombs to torch one home and threaten another, was sentenced today to fifteen years in prison, announced U.S. Attorney Jenny A. Durkan. SANG NGOC UNG, 54, of Margate, Florida pleaded guilty in April 2014 to Collection of Extension of Credit by Extortionate Means, Interstate Travel in Aid of Racketeering Activity, Unlawful Possession of a Destructive Device and Carrying a Firearm During and in Relation to a Crime of Violence. In his plea agreement UNG admits that in the early morning hours of June 10, 2013 he set fire to his relative’s home on S. Cloverdale Street in Seattle. The fire extensively damaged the home and forced the homeowner, her adult children and a friend to flee through a window and the garage. Shortly after that fire, investigators went to a second home associated with the family and discovered a destructive device that had not ignited. U.S. District Judge Richard A. Jones imposed the sentence. “This defendant earned every day of this sentence. He attempted to rule his victims through fear and violence,” said U. S. Attorney Jenny A. Durkan. “He endangered not just his targeted victims, but those who live nearby and all first responders.” According to records in the case, UNG had been pressuring family members in Seattle about $20,000 he believes is owed to him. Family members had attempted to pay some of the money, but UNG reportedly continued to threaten them if the debt was not paid. In mid-May 2013, UNG arrived in the Seattle area and again began pressuring the family to repay the debt. On June 9, 2013, UNG was observed attempting to contact people at both homes. The fire and the destructive device that failed to ignite were discovered the next day. Cell phone records place UNG in the Seattle area during the time the fire and destructive device were set. Evidence on the destructive device ties him to the scene. UNG returned to the Seattle area in July 2013 and was arrested by Seattle Police and ATF agents. At the time of his arrest UNG had a firearm in his possession and admits that he was armed during the criminal conduct in this case. The case was investigated by the Seattle Police Department and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms & Explosives (ATF). The case was prosecuted by Assistant United States Attorney Todd Greenberg.
Seattle Field Division