DOJ Seal

Department of Justice

U.S. Attorney's Office
Eastern District of Missouri

For Immediate Release

Monday, July 21, 2014
Richard Callahan
, United States Attorney
Contact: Jan Diltz

Local Man Sentenced on Federal Firearms Charges

St. Louis, MO – Braland Norman was sentenced to 78 months in prison on charges involving the December 2013 shooting on Delmar Avenue, in St. Louis.

According to the facts filed with the court, on December 29, 2013, Norman was the passenger in a vehicle headed southbound on Skinker but stopped at a red light at Delmar.  As his vehicle was stopped, a blue SUV came up behind it and an individual got out and fired numerous rounds into Norman’s vehicle.  Norman was shot in his back and the driver, Allie Harper was shot numerous times.  The shooter got back into the SUV which then left the scene.  Harper then drove his vehicle through the intersection and proceeded to run into a vehicle headed westbound on Delmar. Harper remained in the car but Norman climbed out of the vehicle through the rear window which had been shot out, and took his 9mm Semi-automatic pistol with 27 rounds in the magazine.  Norman ran from the scene eastbound on Delmar, discarded the firearm under a vehicle which was parked right outside of the Moonrise Hotel, entered the hotel and went into the men’s room.  After trying to clean up a bit as he was bleeding, he left the restroom and convinced the valet that he left something in his car which the valet had just parked for another patron.  The valet gave Norman the keys and without permission of the owner, Norman left the parking lot with the vehicle.  The stolen vehicle was recovered on January 25, 2014.

With his plea Norman admitted that he was a previously convicted of a felon, and as such is forbidden by law to own or possess a firearm.

Norman, 28, St. Louis City, pled guilty last April to one felony count of being a felon in possession of a firearm, and appeared today for sentencing before United States District Judge Catherine D. Perry.

This case was investigated by the St. Louis Metropolitan Police Department and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.  Assistant United States Attorney Tom Mehan handled the case for the U.S. Attorney's Office.



Kansas City Field Division