DOJ Seal

Department of Justice

U.S. Attorney's Office
Eastern District of Missouri

For Immediate Release

Thursday, January 5, 2017
Richard Callahan
, United States Attorney
Contact: ASAP Assigned to Case

Saint Louis Man Sentenced to 25 Years in Prison for Drug-Related Homicide

St. Louis, MO – Walter Wallace, Jr., 29, was sentenced to 25 years in prison on the charge of possession of a firearm in furtherance of drug trafficking resulting in the December 18, 2010, murder of Michael Hayes. Mr. Hayes was found shot inside his residence located in the 4500 block of Alice Avenue in the City of St. Louis. Wallace was sentenced this afternoon by United States District Court Judge Henry E. Autrey. His co-defendant, Jerry Chambers, will be sentenced later this month.

In the fall of 2010, Wallace engaged in discussions with others about committing a robbery of Mr. Hayes. In furtherance of those discussions, Wallace and others conducted surveillance of Mr. Hayes’ residence, obtained information about the interior of Mr. Hayes’ residence, and, on at least one occasion, unsuccessfully attempted to make entry into Mr. Hayes’ residence.

On December 18, 2010, Wallace and his co-defendant, Jerry Chambers, carried out the burglary of Mr. Hayes’ residence. Wallace and Chambers drove to the area of the residence and parked in an alley behind the residence. The two men went to the front door of Mr. Hayes’ residence believing that Mr. Hayes was not at home. Wallace was armed with a nine millimeter caliber firearm. Chambers possessed a crowbar. After a few minutes, Chambers forced entry into Mr. Hayes’ residence with the crowbar.

Wallace and Chambers entered the residence. Mr. Hayes was not present at that time. Among other things, Wallace entered Mr. Hayes’ bedroom to search for items to take. As Wallace searched, Mr. Hayes returned home and made entry into his bedroom from a separate door. When Mr. Hayes stepped inside, Wallace removed his firearm. Wallace shot Mr. Hayes once. Mr. Hayes was struck by the bullet and died from his injuries. Wallace’s firearm jammed after that first shot. No struggle occurred between Mr. Hayes and Wallace at any time. Wallace ran from and exited the residence after shooting Mr. Hayes. Wallace and Chambers, who had been in a separate part of the residence at the time of the shooting, drove away from the scene.

In the hours and day(s) following the murder of Mr. Hayes, Wallace discarded some of the clothing worn by him at the time of the murder as well as the firearm used.

Wallace’s sentence comes in connection with the on-going coordinated effort between United States Attorney Richard Callahan’s office, the St. Louis Circuit Attorney’s Office, the St. Louis Metropolitan Police Department, and the United States Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives to address the commission of homicides in the City of St. Louis.


Kansas City Field Division