DOJ Seal

Department of Justice

U.S. Attorney's Office
District of Connecticut

For Immediate Release

Friday, May 30, 2014
Deirdre M. Daly
, United States Attorney
Contact: Tom Carson

Stamford Man Pleads Guilty To Federal Gun Charge, Admits Violating Supervised Release

Deirdre M. Daly, United States Attorney for the District of Connecticut, today announced that, on May 28, 2014, in Bridgeport federal court, GERALD COLEY, 44, of Stamford, waived his right to indictment and pleaded guilty to one count of possession of a firearm by a previously convicted felon.  COLEY also admitted to violating the terms and conditions of his supervised release from a prior federal conviction.

According to court documents and statements made in court, on February 3, 2014, Stamford Police were called to the home of COLEY’s girlfriend on a report that COLEY was holding his girlfriend at gunpoint, and that their three children were with them in the residence.  The police arrived at the residence and confirmed that a family friend had escorted the children outside.  COLEY then permitted his girlfriend to leave the residence.  He subsequently surrendered to police and advised officers that he had hidden a gun behind a radiator in the living room.  A search of that location revealed a loaded Glock .40 caliber handgun.

COLEY’s criminal history includes six felony convictions, including a 2002 federal conviction for possession with intent to distribute cocaine base (“crack cocaine”), for which he was sentenced to 151 months of imprisonment and three years of supervised release.  COLEY was released from federal prison in September 2012 and began serving his supervised release.

COLEY is scheduled to be sentenced by Chief U.S. District Judge Janet C. Hall in New Haven on August 20, 2014, at which time he faces a maximum term of imprisonment of 10 years for illegally possessing a firearm, and up to two years of imprisonment for violating his supervised release.

Charges against COLEY related to the hostage situation are pending in state court.

This matter is being investigated by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF), and the Stamford Police Department.  The case is being prosecuted by Assistant U.S. Attorney Robert M. Spector.



Boston Field Division