DOJ Seal

Department of Justice

U.S. Attorney's Office
District of Wyoming

For Immediate Release

Friday, December 18, 2015
Christopher A. Crofts
, United States Attorney
Contact: John R. Powell

Wyoming Man Sentenced for Arson of Building Receiving Federal Funds; Using a Firearm During and in Relation to a Crime of Violence; Possession of an Unregistered Firearm; and False Declaration Before a Grand Jury-U.S. Attorney for the District of Wyoming

Cheyenne – U.S. Attorney Christopher A. Crofts announced today that Sheridan, Wyoming resident Joel S. Elliott has been sentenced to thirty-seven (37) years of imprisonment in federal court, consecutive to time being served on separate state charges. In addition to his term of imprisonment, Elliott was ordered to pay a $400.00 special assessment, restitution in the amount of $940,000.00, and will be placed on five years of supervised release upon release from federal custody.

In June 2014, Joel Elliot fire bombed the Sheridan County Attorney’s Office. After a four-day jury trial in the U.S. District Court in Casper, a jury found him guilty on all counts related to that fire: arson of building receiving federal funds; using a firearm during and in relation to a crime of violence; possession of an unregistered firearm; and false declaration before a Grand Jury.

“The Defendant created a substantial risk of injury to other persons, including public safety officers engaged in the performance of their duties. The trial team on this case did an excellent job, from investigation through the successful prosecution of Joel Elliott in this matter,” said United States Attorney Crofts.

“I want to commend the ATF agents, Wyoming United States Attorney’s Office and Sheridan Police Department for their outstanding investigation and prosecution in this case. Elliott won’t be able to wreak any more havoc on his community for a very long time,” said ATF Special Agent in Charge Ken Croke. “This substantial prison sentence should be a warning to anyone who thinks arson is acceptable in any circumstance.”

The investigation in this case was conducted by the Sheridan Police Department and the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives and was prosecuted by Assistant U.S. Attorney Stuart S. Healy III.


Denver Field Division