Sample Block

Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives

308 West State Street, Room 300
Rockford, Illinois 61101

(815) 987-4444

Fax: (815) 987-4236

For Immediate Release

February 11, 2009

Patrick J. Fitzgerald, United States Attorney

Contact: Mark T. Karner, Assistant U.S. Attorney

Rockford Man Sentenced to 334 Months in Federal Prison on Drug and Firearm Charges

ROCKFORD — PATRICK J. FITZGERALD, United States Attorney for the Northern District of Illinois; ANDREW L. TRAVER, Special Agent-in-Charge of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives; and CHET EPPERSON, Chief of the Rockford Police Department, today made the following announcement:

Today, United States District Judge Frederick J. Kapala sentenced SHABAKA K. BOYD, 28, Rockford, Illinois, to a total of 334 months’ imprisonment without parole for illegally possessing with intent to distribute 122 grams of powder cocaine and 67 grams of cocaine base (“crack cocaine”), possessing a firearm during a drug trafficking crime, and for illegally possessing a firearm. In imposing the sentence, Judge Kapala found that Boyd was a “career offender,” which resulted in Boyd receiving a higher sentence because of his prior criminal record. In addition, Boyd was ordered to serve 5 years of supervised release following his release from prison, and to pay a $500 fine and a $300 special assessment.

Boyd pled guilty on November 13, 2008. In pleading guilty, Boyd admitted that on April 3, 2008, he was at his residence and possessed approximately 122 grams of powder cocaine and approximately 67 grams of cocaine base (“crack” cocaine), which he stored in a container on top of a dresser in his bedroom and intended to sell. Boyd, who had previously been convicted of a felony, further admitted in the plea agreement that he possessed a loaded Llama, .45 caliber pistol, next to the powder and crack cocaine.

The case was investigated by the Rockford Office of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives, and the Rockford Police Department. The case was prosecuted in federal court by Assistant United States Attorney Mark T. Karner.