Sample Block

Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives

District of Maryland

For Immediate Release

February 25, 2011

Rod J. Rosenstein, United States Attorney

Contact: Vickie E. LeDuc, Public Information Officer

Baltimore Armed Career Criminal Exiled to 19 Years in Prison for Illegal Possession of a Gun

Arrested After a Gun Fight in Which Police Officer Was Shot

Baltimore, Maryland – U.S. District Judge William D. Quarles, Jr. sentenced Glenn Plato Brooks, age 42, of Baltimore, Maryland, today to 19 years in prison followed by five years of supervised release for being a felon in possession of a firearm. Judge Quarles enhanced Brooks' sentence upon finding that he is an armed career criminal. Brooks has at least six previous convictions including three narcotics convictions, robbery with a deadly weapon, battery and possession of a deadly weapon with intent to injure.

The sentence was announced by United States Attorney for the District of Maryland Rod J. Rosenstein; Special Agent in Charge Theresa R. Stoop of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives – Baltimore Field Division; Baltimore City State’s Attorney Gregg L. Bernstein; and Baltimore Police Commissioner Frederick H. Bealefeld III.

We are grateful the detective has recovered from his injuries, and this career criminal was held accountable for his actions, says ATF Special Agent in Charge Theresa Stoop. Law enforcement officers risk their lives every day to protect our citizens from these very offenders who sabotage our neighborhoods. Mr. Brooks will now have nearly two decades to contemplate the consequences of his actions.

According to Brooks’ plea agreement, on February 4, 2010, detectives with the Baltimore Police Department received a tip that Brooks was on his front porch and had a gun. Detectives went to Brooks' home in the 3700 block of Oakmont Avenue in Baltimore, but did not see anyone on the front porch. The detectives contacted a source by telephone and advised that they were looking for Brooks, but he was not on his front porch. The source called back a few minutes later to say that Brooks was on the porch and had a gun. The detectives, who had been waiting in an alley behind the home, approached the house. As they came out of the alley, Brooks began firing his gun at the detectives, who returned fire. During the exchange of gunfire, one of the detectives was shot in the arm and Brooks was shot in the shoulder. Other officers arrived and entered the home. Brooks was arrested and taken to a local hospital. The gun, a Taurus .38 caliber revolver was recovered, fully loaded, in the stairwell to the basement. Additional ammunition was recovered from the basement.

After being treated and released from the hospital Brooks was interviewed and admitted having the gun and firing at the detectives, although he denied knowing that they were police officers. Brooks also admitted reloading the gun prior to police recovering it from the basement stairwell.

United States Attorney Rod J. Rosenstein commended the ATF, Baltimore Police Department and Baltimore City State’s Attorney’s Office for their work in this investigation and thanked Assistant United States Attorneys Benjamin M. Block and Kwame J. Manley, who prosecuted the case.