Sample Block

Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives

Northern District of Texas

For Immediate Release

Friday, April 15, 2011

James T. Jacks, United States Attorney

Contact: Kathy Colvin, Media Inquiries
(214) 659-8707

Dallas Man, Associated with Local Street Gang, Sentenced to 29 Years in Federal Prison for Shooting a Federal Agent and Drug and Firearm Offenses

DALLAS — Gary Montgomery, a/k/a G–Bone, 39, who pleaded guilty in December 2010 to assaulting a federal officer, distributing crack cocaine and being a felon in possession of a firearm, was sentenced this morning by Chief U.S. District Judge Sidney A. Fitzwater to a total of 29 years in federal prison. The announcement was made today by James T. Jacks, U.S. Attorney for the Northern District of Texas and Robert R. Champion, Special Agent in Charge for the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.

I applaud the investigative work of the ATF, the DEA, the U.S. Marshals Service and the Dallas and Fort Worth Police Departments in this Organized Crime and Drug Enforcement Task Force case, said U.S. Attorney Jacks. We are once again reminded of law enforcement’s dangerous work and are grateful that this brave ATF agent has recovered from his injuries.

We are relieved and pleased that Agent Veal was able to recover from the shooting and was able to return to work, stated SAC Champion. This shows ATF’s commitment in combating violent crime by going after the worst of the worst offenders.

Montgomery, and other members/associates of violent local street gangs who ran a drug distribution conspiracy in the Highland Hills and Pleasant Grove areas in Dallas, were arrested on September 2, 2010. Montgomery is associated with the Highland Hills Posse street gang.

According to documents filed in the case, at approximately 6:00 a.m. on September 2, ATF agents attempted to enter the Montgomery residence in Dallas to execute a federal arrest warrant for him. After numerous law enforcement agents began identifying themselves by yelling Police With a Search Warrant, two ATF agents attempted to breach the front door of the residence. Montgomery fired multiple shots from a 9 mm handgun through the front door, striking one of the ATF agents in the abdomen.

Montgomery admitted that on numerous occasions between August 2009 and the date of his arrest, he received quantities of powder cocaine from a Dallas–based supply source. He admits that after obtaining the powder cocaine, he and others routinely cooked the cocaine, converting it into crack cocaine. On one occasion, on November 11, 2009, Montgomery met with an individual, whom he learned later was an undercover detective with the Dallas Police Department, who wanted crack cocaine. Montgomery provided co–defendant Quincy Pearson with approximately 125 grams of powder cocaine and instructed him to convert it into crack. Pearson placed the powder cocaine into a steel pot and began the process of converting the power cocaine into crack cocaine. Montgomery admits, that when it was ready, Pearson distributed approximately 64 grams of the crack cocaine to the undercover detective in exchange for $1600 in cash.

Assistant U.S. Attorney Rick Calvert was in charge of the prosecution.