Sample Block

Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives

Southern District of Texas

For Immediate Release

Monday, April 25, 2011

Jose Angel Moreno, United States Attorney

Contact: Angela Dodge, Public Affairs Officer
(713) 567-9388

Three Sentenced for Attempting to Smuggle Machine Guns and Grenades to Mexico

(LAREDO, Texas) – Guillermo Enriquez-Rodriguez, Hector Rolando Enriquez, and Rubisel Valdez-Mar have all now been sentenced for attempting to smuggle four machine guns and 30 grenades in violation of the National Firearms Act, United States Attorney José Angel Moreno announced today. All three men were sentenced over the course of the previous week by visiting U.S. District Court Judge Danny C. Reeves Enriquez-Rodriguez, a 19-year-old resident alien living in Laredo, Texas, was sentenced to 57 months in prison on April 18, 2011; while his brother, Rolando Enriquez, a 21-year-old U.S. citizen living in Laredo, received 55 months in prison on April 22, 2011. Valdez-Mar, an undocumented Mexican alien, received a 68-month prison term on April 20, 2011, which is to be served consecutively with an eight-month sentence for violation of supervised release for a prior conviction.

Before Sept. 29, 2010, the three men placed an order with Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) undercover agents for four fully-automatic AK-47s and AR-15 type assault rifles and 30 M-67 military grenades. They told the agents that the rifles and grenades were destined for Mexico. On Sept. 29, 2010, the defendants met with ATF undercover agents and assured the agents they had received plenty of money from the Mexican buyers to buy the weapons. The defendants viewed and handled the firearms and viewed the grenades. They then handed the agents an envelope containing $11,500 cash for the items and were subsequently arrested.

All three have been in custody since their arrests where they will remain until transferred to a Bureau of Prisons facility to be designated in the near future where they will serve out their sentences.

The investigation leading to the charges was conducted by ATF with the cooperation and support of Homeland Security Investigations and Border Patrol. Assistant United States Attorneys Homero Ramirez and Elizabeth Rabe prosecuted the case.