U.S. Department of Justice
United States Attorney
District of Kansas
District of Kansas
For Immediate Release
January 18, 2012
Barry Grissom, United States Attorney
Contact: Jim Cross, Public Affairs
Kansas City Man Sentenced to 164 Years In String of Armed Robberies
KANSAS CITY, KAN. – A Kansas City, Mo., man has been sentenced to 164 years for a string of armed robberies, U.S. Attorney Barry Grissom said today.
Abasi S. Baker, 32, Kansas City, Mo, was convicted in a jury trial in September on 21 counts including seven counts of robbery, seven counts of unlawful possession of a firearm after a felony conviction and seven counts of brandishing a firearm during a robbery.
This should send a clear message to convicted felons with guns, said U.S. Attorney Barry Grissom.
Gun crimes mean hard time.
During trial, prosecutors presented evidence Baker committed seven robberies including:
- Jan. 6: Payday Loans, 7636 State Ave., Kansas City, Kan.
- Jan. 10: Radio Shack, 7612 State Ave., Kansas City, Kan.
- Jan. 12: Payday Loans, 10327 Metcalf Ave., Overland Park, Kan.
- Jan. 16: Dollar Store, 8144 Parallel Parkway, Kansas City, Kan.
- Feb. 16: Check Into Cash, 11044 Quivira, Overland Park, Kan.
- Feb. 22: Check Into Cash, 15241 W. 135th, Olathe, Kan.
- March 3: Radio Shack, 6945 W. 75th, Overland Park, Kan.
Co-defendant Mark R. Davis is set for a jury trial March 5.
Grissom commended the following agencies and individuals for their work on the case: The FBI and the FBI Violent Crimes/Fugitive Task Force; the Wyandotte County District Attorney’s Office; the U.S. Attorney, Western District of Missouri; the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives; the Kansas City, Mo., Police Department; the Kansas City, Kan., Police Department; he Overland Park Police Department; the Olathe Police Department; the Johnson County Sheriff’s Office; the St. Joseph, Mo., Police Department; the Lee’s Summit, Mo., Police Department; the Mission, Kan., Police Department; and assistant U.S. Attorney Terra Morehead, who prosecuted the case.