Sample Block

Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives

Eastern District of Michigan

For Immediate Release

April 11, 2012

Barbara L. McQuade, United States Attorney

Contact: Gina Balaya
(313) 226-9758

Detroit Man Sentenced Following Second Federal Conviction for Robbery, Weapons and Narcotics Offenses

Curtis Williams, 33 of Detroit, was sentenced in federal district court yesterday on charges of Interference with Commerce by Armed Robbery and Use of a Firearm During a Crime of Violence, announced United States Attorney Barbara L. McQuade. Ms. McQuade was joined in the announcement by Special Agent in Charge David McCain, Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF).

Williams was sentenced to 188 months in prison and will serve three years of supervision following his release from federal prison. Williams pleaded guilty last December and was sentenced by the Honorable Gerald E. Rosen. The sentencing handed down by Judge Rosen is partially concurrent to a separate 262-month sentence Williams received from the Honorable Julian Abele Cook in March on drug and firearms charges.

Between the two sentences, Williams will serve at least 25 years in federal prison. He also faces additional state time on a parole violation.

Evidence submitted to the court during the guilty pleas and in memoranda and argument presented before Judge Rosen established that on April 3, 2010, Curtis Williams, entered the Radio Shack located at 13330 Jefferson, Detroit, Michigan. Once inside the store, Defendant Williams and others brandished firearms and demandedthat store employees turn over cellular telephones. The Radio Shack employees turned over the property and money from the cash register out of fear for their lives. Numerous cellular telephones were taken as well as personal property and money from the customers. After extensive investigation of similar other robberies, ATF agents identified Williams as a participant in the April 2010 crime.

In the case before Judge Cook for which Williams was sentenced in March __, 2012, the evidence established that Detroit Police Officers were investigating complaints related to drug trafficking activity at a vacant house located at 141 E. Arizona St., Detroit, on March 25, 2011. As the officers approached, Williams entered the house. The officers pursued him and witnessed him remove a chrome revolver from his pocket and throw it across the living room of the house. Officers then followed Williams into a bathroom where they observed him attempting to empty baggies of marijuana into a toilet. Williams was taken into custody and searched. At that time he was also found to be in possession of 25 packets of lottery paper which contained heroin. He also possessed a Charter Arms .38 Special, .38 cal. revolver in furtherance of the drug trafficking in which he was engaged.

Williams criminal history spans 17 years and includes previous felony convictions for armed robbery and drug offenses.

Special Agent in Charge McCain said, This sentence imposed highlights our efforts to remove armed, violent individuals like Mr. Williams whose repetitive past displayed a continued willingness to carry and use firearms to commit crimes including armed Robbery and narcotics trafficking, crimes that continue to paralyzed our community with fear. I would like to thank our state and local law enforcement partners as well as the United States Attorney’s office and the Wayne County Prosecutors Office.

McQuade praised the work of the Detroit Police Department and the Bureau of Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms who investigated the cases. Additionally, the cooperative effort between the United States Attorneys Office and the Wayne County Prosecutor’s Office resulted in the coordination of cases and the prosecution of both cases in Federal Court. In addition to maximizing resources, the penalties imposed will prohibit Williams from preying on the Detroit residential and business communities for the next quarter-century.

The law enforcement officers involved at both the state and federal level, McQuade said, demonstrated the highest levels of professionalism in their aggressive and thorough investigation of the case.

Assistant United States Attorneys John O’Brien and Jeanine Brunson prosecuted the cases for the United States.