Sample Block

Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives

Western District of Missouri

For Immediate Release

April 16, 2012

David M. Ketchmark, United States Attorney

Contact: Don Ledford, Public Affairs
(816) 426-4220

Project Ceasefire

Former FBI Most Wanted Sentenced for Illegal Firearm

KANSAS CITY, Mo. B David M. Ketchmark, Acting United States Attorney for the Western District of Missouri, announced that a Kansas City, Mo., woman who was formerly on the FBI’s Most Wanted list was sentenced in federal court today for illegally possessing a firearm.

Shauntay Henderson, 29, of Kansas City, was sentenced by U.S. District Judge Dean Whipple to seven years and three months in federal prison without parole.

On Oct. 27, 2011, Henderson pleaded guilty to being a felon in possession of a firearm. Henderson admitted that she was in possession of a Taurus .40-caliber semi-automatic handgun on Sept. 15, 2010. Under federal law, it is illegal for anyone who has been convicted of a felony to be in possession of any firearm or ammunition. Henderson has prior felony convictions for voluntary manslaughter and armed criminal action.

According to an affidavit filed in support of the original criminal complaint, law enforcement officers were conducting surveillance at a Kansas City, Mo., residence on Sept. 15, 2010, due to recent drug activity and gang violence. During the surveillance, officers saw Henderson arrive at the house. Moments later, she left the residence and got into the front passenger seat of the black Kia Sportage that she had arrived in. An unidentified female drove the vehicle to the Wal-Mart at 11601 E. 40 Hwy., Kansas City. Officers watched the two women enter the store; when they returned to the vehicle, officers activated their red lights and siren in an attempt to stop the vehicle.

The driver of the vehicle didn’t stop, the affidavit says, and instead fled through the Wal-Mart parking lot and into the Lowe's parking lot. Officers pursued the vehicle. When the vehicle stopped behind the Lowe's store, Henderson got out and started running. The officers pursued Henderson on foot, the affidavit says, and saw her remove a handgun from her right front pants pocket and drop it on the ground. An officer retrieved the firearm as other officers continued the pursuit to the back yard of a nearby residence, where Henderson was detained.

This case was prosecuted by Assistant U.S. Attorney Stefan Hughes. It was investigated by the Kansas City, Mo., Police Department and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.


This news release, as well as additional information about the office of the United States Attorney for the Western District of Missouri, is available on-line at: