Sample Block

Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives

Southern District of Illinois

For Immediate Release

June 29, 2012

Stephen R. Wigginton, United States Attorney

Contact: James L. Porter, Public Information Officer
(618) 628-3700

Two Men Sentenced on Charges Involving Same Gun

Frednardo D. Sykes, of St. Louis, Missouri, and Maurice T. Trimble, of Washington Park, Illinois, were sentenced June 29, 2012, on firearms charges in federal district court, the United States Attorney for the Southern District of Illinois, Stephen R. Wigginton, announced today.

The charges arose from an incident that occurred on November 8, 2012, at Trimble’s home, where several people had gathered. When Sykes got into his car after leaving Trimble’s home, he was approached by an unidentified man who smashed Sykes’ window with a shotgun and forced Sykes out of the car. Sykes ran into Trimble’s home, shouted that he had just been robbed, and he asked Trimble for the gun that he knew Trimble carried. Trimble gave the gun to Sykes, who then went back outside. While Sykes was still on the porch, the unidentified thief fired at Sykes, who returned fire. Sykes then reported the incident to police.

Law enforcement agents discovered that Trimble had a 1997 felony conviction in Madison County, Illinois, for Obstructing Justice. The agents also learned that Sykes was a regular user of marijuana.

An Indictment filed November 17, 2011, charged Sykes with Possession of a Firearm by a User of Marijuana, and charged Trimble with Possession of a Firearm by a Convicted Felon. Sykes pled guilty to Count 1 on March 25, 2012; Trimble pled guilty to Count 2 on March 5, 2012; Sykes was sentenced to 21 months’ imprisonment and two years’ supervised release.

Trimble was sentenced to 15 months’ imprisonment and one year supervised release. Each must also pay a $100 special assessment. No fine was imposed on either person.

The firearm – a Taurus .38 caliber revolver – was ordered forfeited to the United States.

The case was investigated by members of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives. The case was prosecuted by Assistant U.S. Attorney Stephen B. Clark.