Sample Block

Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives

Southern District of Illinois

For Immediate Release

October 22, 2012

Stephen R. Wigginton, United States Attorney

Contact: James L. Porter
(618) 628-3700


An East St. Louis man, Arnold W. Turner, 48, was sentenced today in United States District Court, East St. Louis, for Unlawful Possession of a Firearm by a Previously Convicted Felon to 57 months’ imprisonment, the United States Attorney for the Southern District of Illinois, Stephen R. Wigginton, announced. Turner was also ordered to pay a fine of $300, a $100 special assessment and to serve a term of 2 years of supervised release following imprisonment. There is no parole in the federal system. Turner has been in custody since his arrest on April 19, 2012.

Court documents establish that on November 12, 2011, members of the East St. Louis Police Department were dispatched to Blues Place Bar on 27th Street in East St. Louis, in response to a 911 call involving a black male outside the bar with a large “Uzi-type” gun threatening patrons. While a uniformed officer was talking to a witness outside of the establishment, Turner approached holding a semi-automatic pistol and yelling. The officer identified himself as a police officer and instructed Turner to put down the weapon. Turner did not comply with the officer’s command at which time the officer fired one shot which struck Turner in the right hand, causing the firearm to fall to the ground. As the firearm landed on the ground, the magazine ejected and the ammunition was dispelled. The unfired 9 mm ammunition and the firearm was recovered by law enforcement. The firearm was determined to be an Intratec, Model TEC-DC9 semi-automatic pistol. Turner admitted that he had been in possession of the firearm, stating that he had been in an altercation with three individuals at the bar earlier in the evening, that he had left to retrieve the weapon from his friend’s car and returned to confront those individuals.

The investigation was conducted by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms (ATF), the Illinois State Police and the East St. Louis Police Department. The case was prosecuted by Assistant United States Attorney Ali Summers.