Sample Block

Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives

Eastern District of Missouri

For Immediate Release

February 11, 2013

Richard Callahan, United States Attorney

Contact: Jan Diltz, Public Information Officer
(314) 539-7719

Two Men Plead Guilty to Roles in 2011 Murder

St. Louis, MO – Scott Alan Compton, 54, Washington, MO, and Lodgy Michael Jackson, 23, Houston, TX, pled guilty on February 6 and February 8, 2013, respectively, for their actions that resulted in the April 22, 2011, death of Jamie Benson, 28, of Houston, TX. Compton and Jackson both pled guilty to one count of conspiracy to possess with the intent to distribute over 500 grams of cocaine. Jackson additionally pled to a second count of conspiracy to possess a firearm in furtherance of a drug trafficking crime and a third count of discharging a firearm in furtherance of a drug trafficking crime in which death resulted. They appeared before United States District Court Judge Audrey G. Fleissig.

According to court documents, in early April 2011, Compton and Jackson – along with others – joined in a conspiracy that included robbing and murdering victim Benson within the City of St. Louis after luring Mr. Benson from Houston to St. Louis. Compton and Jackson were actively involved in luring Benson to St. Louis and setting the stage for Benson's murder by Jackson. In the early morning hours of April 22, 2011, Jackson shot and murdered Benson inside a vehicle parked in a St. Louis alley. Jackson and others abandoned Benson's body in the alley where it was later discovered by the St. Louis Metropolitan Police Department. The conspirators undertook significant efforts to cover-up the conspiracy and destroy evidence of the crime, but were ultimately unsuccessful.

Sentencing has been set for May 2013. Compton faces up to a maximum of 40 years imprisonment for his crime. Jackson faces a term of imprisonment of up to life for his crimes. In determining the actual sentences, a judge is required to consider the United States Sentencing Guidelines, which provide recommended sentencing ranges.

This case was investigated by the St. Louis Metropolitan Police Department; the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives; the United States Marshals Service; the Franklin County Sheriff's Department; and the St. Charles County Police Department.