Sample Block

Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives

District of Connecticut

For Immediate Release

April 3, 2013

David B. Fein, United States Attorney

Tom Carson
Public Information Office
(203) 821-3722
(203) 996-1393 (cell)

Hartford Man Sentenced to More than Nine Years in Prison for Illegal Possession of a Firearm

David B. Fein, United States Attorney for the District of Connecticut, announced that ALEXANDER GARAY, 36, of Hartford, was sentenced today by United States District Judge Vanessa L. Bryant in Hartford to 115 months of imprisonment, followed by three years of supervised release, for illegally possessing a firearm.

According to court documents and statements made in court, on May 22, 2012, GARAY was arrested after he engaged Hartford police officers in a car chase during which he nearly hit an officer, threw bags of heroin out of his car window and forced another individual’s vehicle off the road. A subsequent search of GARAY’s vehicle revealed a Taurus 9 millimeter pistol and an additional quantity of heroin.

According to court documents, Cuadros-Garcia led an organized criminal group that stole more than $4.6 million in jewelry from victims in Virginia and at least six other states. In March 2012, CuadrosThe firearm GARAY possessed had been reported stolen from its legal owner in 2006.

Prior to May 2012, GARAY had been convicted of multiple felony offenses, including weapon in a motor vehicle (twice), criminal possession of a firearm, sale of hallucinogens/ narcotics, possession of narcotics (twice), and stealing a firearm.

It is a violation of federal law for a person previously convicted of a felony offense to possess a firearm or ammunition that has moved in interstate or foreign commerce.

GARAY has been detained since his arrest by Hartford Police on May 22, 2012. On January 23, 2013, he pleaded guilty to one count of possession of a firearm by a previously convicted felon.

This matter was investigated by the Hartford Police Department and Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives. The case was prosecuted by Assistant United States Attorneys Jonathan S. Freimann and Michelle McConaghy.