Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives
Public Affairs Division – Washington, DC
Contact: Public Affairs
For Immediate Release
April 24, 2014
ATF Releases 2014 Report on Firearms Commerce in the U.S.
WASHINGTON – The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) today released the 2014 Annual Statistical Update of Firearms Commerce in the United States.
Through a series of easy to read tables and charts, the Annual Statistical Update presents data drawn from a number of ATF reports and records in one comprehensive document. The report also provides comparative data from as far back as 1975 for context, analyses of trends over the years, and a fuller picture of the state of firearms commerce in the United States today.
A few examples of data available in the Update:
- The number of firearms manufactured in the U.S. from 1986 through 2012 (the last year for which data is available), with a breakdown by types of firearms
Rifles were the most manufactured firearm in the U.S. in all but eight of the last 26 years, with pistols taking the top spot in 1990-1994, and 2010-2012.
- The number of firearms imported into the U.S. from 1986-2013, with a breakdown by type, as well as country of manufacture
Handguns were the most imported firearm in all but six of the last 27 years; Brazil was the No. 1 country of manufacture for firearms imported into the U.S. in 2013.
- The number of firearms exported from the U.S., by type, from 1986-2012 (the last year for which data is available)
The number of firearms exported annually ranges from a high of 431,204 in 1993, to a low of 139,920 in 2004. In 2012, the U.S. exported 287,554 firearms.
- The number of Federal Firearms Licensees (FFLs) by state, 1975-2013 as well as FFL actions and compliance data
Last year, 139,244 FFLs were operating throughout the U.S., with Texas (10,532), California (8,435), and Florida (7,494) home to the highest number of FFLs.
- The number of National Firearms Act (NFA) registered firearms as of March 2014, with types and a breakdown by state, as well as details regarding NFA revenues and numbers processed from 1984-2013.
In 2013, ATF processed 1,085,749 NFA-related forms.
For more information about the Update, and to take a closer look, visit the ATF website at:http://www.atf.gov/sites/default/files/assets/statistics/CommerceReport/firearms_commerce_annual_