The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) is the Federal agency primarily responsible for administering and enforcing the criminal and regulatory provisions of the Federal laws pertaining to destructive devices (bombs), explosives, and arson. Over nearly 40 years, ATF has developed scientifically proven investigative capabilities, expertise, and resources they have positioned ATF as the Nation’s primary source for explosives and fire investigative knowledge and assistance.
Fire Investigation Resources
- Fire Investigation Resources
- Bomb Arson Tracking System (BATS) – a web-based case management system which provides you, State and local arson & explosives investigators, access to up-to-date arson and explosives investigative data from across the nation at no charge.
- Certified Fire Investigators – Special agents trained to investigate violent crimes of arson. As well as, conduct training for ATF agents and other federal, state and local fire investigators.
- International and National Response Teams – Veteran special agents with post blast and origin-cause expertise who help Federal, State, and local investigators meet the challenges of significant arson and explosive incidents.
- Accelerant and Arson Detection Canines – Canines specially trained to detect explosives, explosives residue, and accelerants to assist law enforcement.