- Name: Thera
- Specialty: Explosives Detection/Search Enhanced Evidence K-9 (S.E.E.K.)
- Breed: Labrador Retriever
- Color: Black
- Sex: Female
- Weight: 55 pounds
- Birthday: January 22, 2014
- Training: ATF National Canine Center, Front Royal, VA
- Handler: Special Agent Canine Handler Daniel Kerwin
- Location: Washington Field Division
K-9 Thera is an ATF Explosives Detection Canine assigned to the Washington Field Division with Special Agent Canine Handler (SACH) Daniel Kerwin. Her job is to find explosives, guns and ammunition. K-9 Thera is also an ATF Search Enhanced Evidence K-9 (S.E.E.K.) able to work off leash up to 150 yards away from her handler and detect more than 19,000 distinct odors.
On June 14, 2020, local authorities asked SACH Kerwin for help on a multi-victim homicide case in Washington, D.C. Once he arrived on the site with K-9 Thera, she began searching the crime scene for additional clues.
K-9 Thera alerted SACH Kerwin to two firearms hidden in a thick brush area near the homicide location. Local detectives submitted the crime guns to ATF’s National Integrated Ballistics Information Network to verify leads in the case.