Alcohol & Tobacco
ATF's Alcohol and Tobacco Enforcement Programs purpose is to target, identify, and dismantle criminal enterprises with ties to violent crime, that traffic illicit liquor or contraband tobacco in interstate commerce; seize and deny their access to assets and funds; and prevent their encroachment into the legitimate alcohol or tobacco industry.
As of January 24, 2003, the U.S. Department of the Treasury's Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau (TTB) is responsible for all inquiries in regards to the:
- Manufacture, wholesale and importation of alcohol and tobacco;
- Regulating the alcohol and tobacco industries and Special Occupational TAX (SOT); and
- Collection of the Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Ammunition Excise Taxes imposed on manufactures and importers of these products.
Visit TTB’s Contact Us page for further information.
Alcohol and Tobacco Enforcement
Alcohol and tobacco diversion is the trafficking of alcohol and tobacco products in avoidance of Federal, State or foreign taxes or in violation of Federal, State or foreign law.
Contraband Cigarette Trafficking (CCTA)
It is unlawful for any person to ship, transport, receive, possess, sell, distribute, or purchase more than 10,000 cigarettes without evidence of State cigarette tax payment.
- Department of Justice, Office of Tribal Justice Patriot Act Consultation Letter - The Department of Justice, Office of Tribal Justice, invited Federally recognized tribes to consult with ATF on the implications of ATF’s pending final rule, “Implementation of the USA PATRIOT Improvement and Reauthorization Act of 2005 Regarding Trafficking in Contraband Cigarettes or Smokeless Tobacco.”
- Response to Tribal Consultations on the Implementation of Certain Provisions of the USA PATRIOT Act Relating to Trafficking in Contraband Cigarettes or Smokeless Tobacco - The Department of Justice’s response to comments received from the Federally recognized tribes after consultation with ATF on the implications of ATF’s pending final rule, “Implementation of the USA PATRIOT Improvement and Reauthorization Act of 2005 Regarding Trafficking in Contraband Cigarettes or Smokeless Tobacco.”
Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives
99 New York Ave, NE
Mail Stop: 90 K-250
Washington, DC 20226
Tel: (202) 648-7130
Fax: (202) 648-9640