Alcohol & Tobacco
ATF's Alcohol and Tobacco Enforcement Programs purpose is to target, identify, and dismantle criminal enterprises with ties to violent crime, that traffic illicit liquor or contraband tobacco in interstate commerce; seize and deny their access to assets and funds; and prevent their encroachment into the legitimate alcohol or tobacco industry.
As of January 24, 2003, The U.S. Department of the Treasury, Alcohol and Tobacco Tax & Trade Bureau (TTB), is responsible for all inquiries in regards to the:
- Manufacture, wholesale and importation of alcohol and tobacco;
- Regulating the alcohol and tobacco industries and Special Occupational TAX (SOT); and
- Collection of the Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Ammunition Excise Taxes imposed on manufactures and importers of these products.
Visit TTB’s Contact Us page for further information.
Alcohol and Tobacco Enforcement
What is Alcohol and Tobacco Diversion?
It is the trafficking of alcohol and tobacco products in avoidance of Federal, State or foreign taxes or in violation of Federal, State or foreign law.
Contraband Cigarette Trafficking (CCTA)
It is unlawful for any person to ship, transport, receive, possess, sell, distribute, or purchase more than 10,000 cigarettes without evidence of State cigarette tax payment.
- Department of Justice, Office of Tribal Justice Patriot Act Consultation Letter
- Response to Tribal Consultations on the Implementation of Certain Provisions of the USA PATRIOT Act Relating to Trafficking in Contraband Cigarettes or Smokeless Tobacco
Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives
99 New York Ave, NE
Washington, DC 20226
Telephone Number: 202-648-7130
Fax Number: 202-648-9640