Explosives Industry - How To

How To …

I want to become a Federal Explosives Licensee (FEL)

Once you have decided to apply for a Federal explosives license or permit (commonly referred to as an “FEL”) you would send the completed application to ATF’s Lockbox; the Lockbox is operated by Bank of America in Atlanta, Georgia. Read more »

I want to renew my Federal Explosives License (FEL)

When you have sent your Federal Explosives License or Permit (FEL) Renewal Application, ATF Form 5400.14/5400.15 Part III, to ATF prior to the expiration of your federal explosives license and the application form has been postmarked before the expiration date, you may request a Letter of Authorization (LOA) from the Federal Explosives Licensing Center (FELC) to carry on your business operations while your renewal application is in a pending status. Read more »

I want to discontinue being a Federal Explosives Licensee (FEL)

When an FEL discontinues business, the FEL must send their explosives transactions records to the National Tracing Center (NTC). The NTC receives an average of 1.2 million out-of-business records per month and is the only repository for these records within the United States. Read more »

I want to report an explosives theft or loss

Any person who has knowledge of the theft or loss of any explosive materials from their stock must report such theft or loss within 24 hours of discovery to ATF and to appropriate local authorities. (Regulations at 27 CFR § 55.30, implementing section 842(k), require that the report of theft or loss be made by telephone and in writing to ATF). Read more »

I want to learn about explosive pest control devices

Explosives industry members play an integral role in maintaining and improving our quality of life in the United States and work to bring countless benefits to our everyday lives. In addition to their evident use in mining and demolition, explosives are also used in the field of animal or pest control. Explosive pest control devices (EPCDs) — often referred to as “bird bombs,” “shell crackers,” or similar terms — are used to maintain adequate levels of agricultural and aquacultural production and aviation safety by minimizing crop damage and interference from pests, birds, and seals at airports, landfills, farmland, golf courses, and fishing areas. Read more »

I want to learn about explosive safety and security

Federal explosives law and regulations provide requirements and standards for the secure storage of explosives materials. To maximize the effects of regulatory compliance, the following voluntary suggestions, developed in partnership with the International Makers of Explosives (IME) and the International Society of Explosives Engineers, may serve as a helpful guide for securing explosive materials. Read more »

I want to learn about explosive storage requirements

The Federal explosives regulations at 27 CFR, Part 555, Subpart K, provide specific construction requirements for explosives magazines. This webpage is intended to provide additional information that may be useful to Federal explosives licensee and permittees. Read more »

I want to learn about fireworks safety and security

Federal explosives regulations promulgated by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) define two general categories of fireworks sold in the United States: “display fireworks” and “consumer fireworks.” Read more »

I want to request a variance, exemption, or determination

Licensees or permittees who wish to use an alternate method or procedure, including alternate magazine construction standards, must submit a request for variance from the regulations. Read more »

I want to apply for relief of explosives disability

Generally, prohibited persons may apply for relief from explosives disability. This process can take 120 or more days to complete. To apply for relief from an explosives disability, you must complete an ATF Form 5400.29, Application for Restoration of Explosives Privileges, an appropriate FD-258 Fingerprint Card, and send it and some additional information to ATF’s Explosives Relief of Disability (EROD) Section. Read more »

Last Reviewed September 22, 2016