What activities are covered by licenses and permits?

Licenses allow persons to engage in the business of importing, manufacturing, or dealing in explosive materials. Any individual or business entity intending to engage in any of these activities must first obtain a license. A user permit allows the receipt and transportation of explosive materials. A limited permit allows the receipt of explosive materials from a licensee or permittee within the permittee’s state of residence only, and on no more than six occasions in the 12-month period during which the limited permit is valid. A limited permit does not authorize the receipt or transportation of explosive materials in interstate or foreign commerce. [27 CFR 555.11: definitions of "importer", "manufacturer", "dealer", "limited permit", and "user permit", 555.41] A separate license is needed for each business premises where an explosives business or activity is conducted. Only a single user permit is needed by a permittee who uses explosives in more than one location. [27 CFR 555.41]

Last Reviewed September 28, 2018