What types of fireworks require an ATF license or permit in order to be lawfully transported or received?

Any fireworks defined as "display fireworks" in 27 CFR 555.11 may be lawfully received or transported only by persons who hold a valid license or permit. No ATF license or permit is required to receive or transport "consumer fireworks" or "articles pyrotechnic".

[18 U.S.C. 842(a)(3); 27 CFR 555.26, 555.141(a)(7)]

Last Reviewed September 28, 2018