Who is authorized to import explosive materials?

Any licensed importer is authorized to engage in the business of importing explosive materials for sale, distribution, or their own use. Any licensed manufacturer, dealer, or holder of a user permit may import explosive materials for their own use only. Licensees and user permittees importing explosive materials must provide to the U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) a copy of the license or permit. Note, however, that in the case of certain military explosives or propellant powder or other components of small arms ammunition, Federal firearms regulations require the importer to provide an approved ATF Form 6 to the CBP. [27 CFR 555.41(b)(2), 555.41(b)(3), 447.21, 555.108(a), 555.183, 478.113]

Last Reviewed September 28, 2018