Would an ATF license or permit be needed to demilitarize (demil) U.S. military explosives?

As long as the demil operator has a valid Department of Defense contract to perform such operations, the operations would be exempt from 27 CFR Part 555 and no license or permit would be required. However, if title to the explosive materials has passed from the military to the demil operator then the materials must be stored under Part 555 requirements and subsequent operations may be regulated by ATF (e.g., storage, sales, manufacturing) and an ATF license or permit may be needed. Contact the nearest ATF field office for further information.

[18 U.S.C. 845(a)(3), (a)(6) and 27 CFR 555.141(a)(3), (a)(5)]

Last Reviewed February 16, 2016