DOJ Seal

Department of Justice

U.S. Attorney's Office
District of Maryland

For Immediate Release

Tuesday, March 20, 2018
Stephen M. Schenning
, United States Attorney
Contact: Elizabeth Morse

Adelphi Man Sentenced To 71 Months In Prison For Drug And Gun Charges

Greenbelt, Maryland – United States District Judge Peter J. Messitte sentenced Jose Hernandez a/k/a “Plumhead,” a/k/a “David Hernandez,” a/k/a “Fathead,” age 27, of Adelphi, Maryland today to 71 months in prison, followed by five years of supervised release, for distribution of 28 grams or more of crack and being a felon in possession of a firearm and ammunition.

The sentence was announced by Acting United States Attorney for the District of Maryland Stephen M. Schenning; Special Agent in Charge Daniel L. Board Jr. of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives – Baltimore Division; and Chief Henry P. Stawinski III of the Prince George’s County Police Department.

According to his plea agreement, between December 23, 2015 and January 12, 2017, at the direction of law enforcement, a confidential informant contacted Hernandez to arrange six controlled purchases of crack and heroin.

On December 16, 2016, ATF agents executed a search warrant at Hernandez’s residence and recovered a 12-gauge pump action shotgun, and a single round ammunition. Prior to December 16, 2016, Hernandez had been convicted of crimes punishable by more than one year in prison, which made him ineligible to possess a firearm and ammunition. His civil rights had not been restored.

At the time of the Defendant's arrest on January 12, 2017, ATF agents recovered approximately $5,572 from Hernandez's wallet, five cellular telephones, and two knotted baggies in the center console of the vehicle which contained approximately one gram of crack and approximately one gram of heroin.

Acting United States Attorney Stephen M. Schenning praised the ATF and Prince George’s County Police for their work in the investigation. Mr. Schenning thanked Assistant U.S. Attorneys Jennifer Sykes and Michael Packard who prosecuted the case.


Baltimore Field Division