DOJ Seal

Department of Justice

U.S. Attorney's Office
District of Rhode Island

For Immediate Release

Thursday, December 3, 2015
Peter F. Neronha
, United States Attorney
Contact: Jim Martin

Cranston Gang Associate Sentenced to Federal Prison on Drug Trafficking and Firearms Charges

Antonio Fortes also faces murder and firearms charges in Rhode Island state court

PROVIDENCE, R.I. – Antonio Fortes, 25, of Cranston, an associate of the YNIC street gang, was sentenced today to 48 months in federal prison on drug trafficking and firearm charges, announced United States Attorney Peter F. Neronha and Daniel J. Kumor, Special Agent in Charge of the Boston Field Division of ATF.

At sentencing, U.S. District Court Chief Judge William E. Smith also ordered Fortes to serve 3 years supervised release upon completion of his prison term, the first six months to be served in home confinement. Fortes pleaded guilty on September 15, 2015, to one count each of possession with the intent to distribute heroin, possession with the intent to distribute crack cocaine and being a felon in possession of a firearm.

Fortes is also facing murder, assault and weapons charges in Rhode Island state court for his alleged role in the October 22, 2014, shooting in Providence that resulted in the death of Terry Robinson. Fortes is charged with one count of murder, three counts of discharge of a firearm while in the commission of a crime of violence, two counts of assault with a dangerous weapon, two counts of carrying a firearm without a license, and one count of conspiracy.

According to federal court documents and information presented to the court, an investigation by ATF agents into Fortes drug trafficking activities included controlled purchases of crack cocaine and repeated surveillance by law enforcement. The investigation culminated with the execution of a court authorized search of Fortes’ residence on March 24, 2015, which resulted in the seizure of numerous packets of heroin, crack cocaine and a loaded .45 caliber handgun.

The case was prosecuted by Assistant U.S. Attorneys Milind M. Shah, with the assistance of Assistant U.S. Attorney William J. Ferland.

Law enforcement officers from the Cranston, Pawtucket and Providence Police Departments assisted agents from ATF in the investigation of this matter.

Boston Field Division